True Taste Food & Drinks Awards Magazine

07 Nov

I’ve only had time to flick quickly through this issue, but it’s a relief to see the back of last year’s issue with Pembrokeshire Tea on the front cover when this company had already ceased trading before the magazine came out.

I found the contents page unclear and wonder why the photos that have been used have not been captioned, or at least given a page number that relates to the appropriate feature – just a practial thought. I’m not sure when this issue is prepared and gets printed. It certainly wasn’t available at the True Taste Awards evening in Llandudno and was first seen at the Cowbridge Food Festival 29-30th October. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought it was late June or early July that the shortlist for True Taste was announced. So I think it would have been logical to showcase those short listed producers in the many features that have been compiled. I’d got up to page 23 and the World Class Produce article and I was puzzled reading the section under the Special Dietary Needs. Now I admit to some bias here, but I expected Homemade Country Preserves, who are with us as Best of Welsh & Borders producers, (BOW) to have been highlighted here. This company were short listed under Special Dietary Options for their No Added Sugar Raspberry Preserve which took gold and their No Added Sugar Damson Preserve which took silver, bronze went to another BOW, Coco Bean with their Classic Gluten Free Brownie. Instead there was a great deal of coverage given to the Village Bakery Nutrition, a family bakery in North Wales. Now this bakery has done exceptionally well business-wise, including exports, they are also another BOW company, so of course I’m pleased that they have been given some extra coverage. But I don’t know why Village Bakery weren’t short listed, maybe they didn’t even enter this section this year. But my point, which I think is very valid, would it not have made sense if Homemade Country Preserves or Coco Bean were featured in this article? It would have certainly have linked whole magazine together, wouldn’t it?

I certainly understand deadlines better than most, but it seems to me that not only was there plenty of time, it was also the perfect opportunity to focus on many of the companies that had been short listed. If there wasn’t time – then simply change your schedule a little.  More joined up writing needed…………………..

Perhaps when I have gone through the whole book, I might find that this section was a one-off, but if not I’d love to see this improved for next year. I am aware that the short listed producers gave up a lot of their time to deal with the photographers and film crew when they came around, so it makes sense to me that this work was used and not just filed away somewhere.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. great taste not true taste

November 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I’m more for great taste than true taste as I’ve won more there! But this item raises some interesting comments
    I wish that you it was easy then to get answers. There are some valid questions asked and the answers would be enlightening if you ever got to the truth….
    I thought this book was supposed to be about all about this year’s winners but it seems maybe that is not what it’s all about
    But who decides who or what goes in it? Is it a company working under Wag’s orders?

2. wake up

November 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm

can I politely ask the last person that commented to wake-up please?
    True Taste is one of Wag’s many, many babies and there is no way Wag would just had this over and not keep hold of the toddler reins.
    I could be wrong, but don’t think so.
    I think that a Cardiff based company are paid to ‘run’ and produce this for Wag, but have no doubt friend, Wag are in charge of their nursery. Sure they have had this work from Wag for years. They have been trading for years and think might have some background with WAD.

3. what cost

November 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I want to know how much wag spend on true taste and how much is spent on this book
    does anyone know or must it go through Freedom Of Information Act?

4. Ben Boy

November 9, 2011 at 9:38 am

I’m sure the True Taste set-up costs a fortune. I’m still waiting to see a copy of the latest one.
    I think the comments put up are well thought through and I know if I’d got through to the last three I’d expect to have had a large piece about my company in there. So why doesn’t this happen for these guys it would mean such a lot to them
    I cannot see any reason why this doesn’t happen. Surely that is one of the reasons for printing this book/ magazine in the first place. The ways of wag have always mystified me and still do. They seem to miss the obvious all the time and go for the obscure, regardless of how much money is being spent and then wasted.

5. cheesy

November 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I have huge reservations about True Taste and muh prefer Great Taste where we have been regular winners unlike at TT for some reason.
    We know that Great Taste is a fair test the judges have no idea at all who has entered and whose product is whose. This is the only way to run this type of event. They don’t just have 3 winners, your product has to reach one of their 3 standards and if it does you get an award. I cannot see how TT can give just 3 winners which must mean all the rest were poor. That cannot be true or be right. It’s a shame that this can’t be changed to work better and fairer for Wales.

6. great taste

November 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Wales has Great Taste – UK has Great Taste
    sensible points have been made on this site about the two but let’s admit it Wales believes their’s is the best, so end of story. What wag want, wag get.
    I have no understanding why TT couldn’t follow and improve on GT, but wag always knows best.
    someone must know how much TT costs us but guess it comes out of so many budgets you’ll never be told the truth

7. costly

November 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

surely it’s worth asking someone how much Wag’s TT jamboree costs or is it too easy for them to take from various budgets?

8. true taste

November 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

this year’s winners should be highlighted in this year’s book, it doesn’t make sense otherwise.
    I still haven’t seen one but it can’t be any worse than having a company on the front cover that’s that’s no longer trading and leaving lots of debts all over Pembrokeshire. What an embarassing error for WG.
    I still haven’t seen a copy but then I’m only a trader and a Great Taste winner.

9. what's the cost

November 25, 2011 at 4:12 pm

tell me how much money is allocated to pay for the true taste, the whole thing
    I guess that wag are clever enough to pull money from so many budgets that we’d never find that out.
    I haven’t even seen a copy of latest TT book thing yet.
    do think if it’s about the TT winners then shiuldn’t it be this year’s winners that should get pride of place and not have the same old favourites again and again.