Cardiff International Food & Drink Festival

08 Feb

It’s been a busy foodie few days with phone and emails giving me lots of food for thought – sorry for a poor pun – but it’s only Wednesday!

One snippet of news from a Best Of  Welsh & Borders producer was that the Cardiff food team was hitting the phones drumming up support for their three day festival in July. Cardiff are charging £180 a metre for stands, but when most traders need 3 metres min, that makes stands £540 ex vat, unless I have failed again on my sums. Certainly not cheap, but interested as to whether you feel visitor numbers make this festival good value for money for three days trading.

I think I can guarantee that Cardiff will not fail in their bid to drag more money out of Wag. In 2008/9 Wag gave them £30k, in 09/10 it rose to £35k, followed by a further increase in 10/11 to £37,500. Now as I understand Cardiff is one of Wag’s ‘Big 3’ with international status, funding I think is assured. Not sure how much time and money Cardiff City Council put into this event, but they also support it as well. I’m unsure if sponsors are difficult to achieve in our capital city, but if that’s the case,  then heaven help the mini and smaller festivals situated out in the sticks, realistically what hope have they of attracting sponsors?

Sorry no idea if payments are staged, as my producer did not proceed any further……………………….

Tags: , , , ,

1. cheeseman

February 8, 2012 at 2:46 pm

This is another festival I’ll not be going to.
    It’s pricey and then we’ve to find B&B for 2 nights
    I wish they’d tell us how the are going to promote and advertise this festival – that might make some think again, but not me.
    I have been a regular at Riverside market and that has gone down and down. Another success for fork2fork expensive job of work. But at least it put jobs into FBA…..another own goal wag.

2. Not going

February 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’ve no choice but to cut back on tradestands unless I have confidence in the organisers to bring the punters in. This is a non-starter for me as I’d have to find B and B too and the Cardiff Christmas one was not good for me.
    Cardiff get a lot of funding and have backing for the council in Cardiff as well, so why can’t the fees for us be more realistic? Without tradestands organisers wont have events. As for early payments, this practice it’s nothing but a rip-off by many organisers, with no thought for us.
    Well done Cowbridge for once again leading the way and putting on a brilliant event and splitting our tradestand charges.
    I have nothing polite to say about fork to fork, but give me £800k and I’d certainly have been able to do a better job than that lot.

February 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I can’t afford to go at these prices which are in my view high. You then don’t think that they are being well funded by the Welsh Government and also by Cardiff Council.
    Because it’s in Cardiff and is one of WG’s favourite festivals, all the assembly members that are actually working on the Friday and all the civil servants will be able to come and pretend they are ‘working’.
    Ok for some, whilst the rest of us really have to work hard to make a living.

4. chutney chap

February 13, 2012 at 11:37 am

This one is not for me at those prices, which do not reflect the amount of funding that goes in. They are getting money from Wag and cardiff council and no doubt sponsorship,
    But what plans have they got to get the people in?

5. trai

February 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Quite a few of us are in agreement about this event.
    I think it’s expensive and then to have to find cheap B & B makes it a non-starter for me.
    Stand prices do not reflect WG funding and City Council funding.
    I think all festivals should send us a list and explain what they are going to do for our money. If they don’t achieve it, we get a refund. That would make some of you wake up and do something to help us sell. You are after all supposed to be on our side. There’s no food festival without us.

6. food producer

February 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I just read someone’s view about sending a deposit to pay for a stand and asking organisers how they are marketing each event.
    Not sure if any responses have yet been sent, but they were fair questions.
    No idea what Cardiff have planned, but they most certainly need a plan and traders deserve to be told well beforehand.
    Not one I’ll be going to, again because of cost and staying there.

7. marketing man

February 21, 2012 at 10:14 am

Does anyone know what the marketing plan is for this event?
    I have read a comment elsewhere on this site that traders should be told before they paid for their stand, what organisers intend to do to get punters into their event.
    This should always have been done, but never more so than in these tough trading times.
    I’m astonished that magazines and newspapers don’t often get press releases about food events, this is basic marketing stuff but it’s an area Wales food fails on.