Rural Hero Of Wales – Countryside Alliance Award

24 Dec

Well what a surprise – I’ve been nominated for a Countryside Alliance Award, A Rural Hero Of Wales. Although I’ve been nominated once before, it is thrilling to be nominated once again this year, but I’ve certainly never thought of myself as a rural hero, rural pest or rural nuisance, but never a hero!
Last week I was informed that ‘several impassioned nominations’ had been received by the Countryside Alliance, ‘about the hard work I’ve put into promoting Welsh produce, and the tough questions that I’m not afraid to ask of Welsh politicians.’ The Countryside Alliance are ‘keen to show their support for the incredible work I am doing and would like to honour me as a Rural Hero of Wales’. I’m relieved I was not judged on the quality, or not, of the responses I’ve received!
The Rural Hero Award is not part of the main Countryside Alliance Awards – it is something that they, as judges award only occasionally, and sparingly, to those who they feel are truly exceptional. They do not grant a Rural Hero Award every year. It’s therefore a special Award that the judges feel encompasses the spirit of the Rural Oscars.
So I’m invited to a reception next March in Cardiff and I will be honoured along with Monmouthshire Postmistress Myra Bowen who seems to hold her community together single handed. Well I can’t wait to meet her and find out how she’s managed to motivate her community. Having not named a Rural Hero at Cardiff Bay before, the Countryside Alliance are thrilled to be naming two for 2014 and cannot overstate what a special Award this is, so Myra and I have been very lucky.
There’s further amazement for me as I’ve been told that it’s not just one person who has nominated me, but several. It’s hard to believe that food producers, who I’m guessing they are, can find the time and energy to nominate me when they are working under so much pressure and have such heavy workloads. So far I’ve not been told who these producers are, but have asked and hope it’s not a secret, as I’d certainly like to thank them for taking so much trouble on my behalf.  Welsh food and drink is important to Welsh Country magazine and certainly important to Wales and our food producers need all the support they can get in such tough trading climates.
I’d also like to say that I’m not running solo here at welshfoodbites and at Welsh Country magazine. Ian and I have a very small, but brilliant team who are all as passionate about Welsh food and drink, and our Best Of Welsh & Borders producers, as we are – so this is very much a team effort.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

December 24, 2013 at 10:18 am

Brilliant news – well deserved
    Feel guilty now that I didn’t nominate you but chuffed to bits that others did.
    Assume no nomination from wag food Kath?

2. Foodie girl

December 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Fantastic well done to guys who nominated you – wish I’d have thought of it.
    About time something good happened to you and your great team.
    More than well deserved
    Maybe wag and the new man will take note but perhaps that’s pushing it, they’ll all be on holiday now enjoying a well deserved rest from all their hard work, I think not
    Well done!

3. cup cake

December 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm

heartfelt congratulations

4. cup cake

January 2, 2014 at 11:11 am

Great this is so good to hear.
    like trader I guess wag food didn’t nominate you!

January 6, 2014 at 11:16 am

About time that you got some official credit for the work you are doing and have been doing for us since your magazine was started years ago.
    brilliant magazine that fully supports local food.
    I’m sure wag food will inundate you with their congratulations in due course WHEN they get back to working for us producers!!!
    hope we catch up soon

6. Buster

January 6, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Many congratulations Kath – I thoroughly support those who nominated you, and applaud the judges for making the award.

Well done, and enjoy the event in Cardiff.

7. Jo

January 9, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Wag food wouldn’t have the bottle or guts to nominate you for this, even they haven’t got that much cheek.
    Great news, well deserved.

8. Foodie

January 10, 2014 at 4:35 pm

congrats Kath
    would I be safe in saying you’ve had no congratulations from any of the wag food team?

9. Benji7???

January 10, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Just approved your comment and thanks for leaving it, much appreciated.
    It will come as no surprise to learn I’ve heard nothing from wag food, you’re quite correct on that one. But then I’d be more surprised if I did!!!
    sure we’ll catch up soon

10. Jazz

January 10, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Hi Kath
    About time too that you got some credit for what you have done for Welsh food – even thought it’s not from our food department.

11. Benji7???

January 10, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I see it as part of my job to help our food producers and I’m not looking for praise.
    Praise, if deserved goes to our small team who are passionate about Welsh food, despite the obstacles that our constantly put in our way.
    It’s Welsh food that matters, end of story.
    But good to hear from you.

12. tipple

January 13, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Fabulous news, how exciting
    Sure you have not been overwhelmed with congratulations from wag food. And not a hope in h – – – that wag food would have nominated you
    I’m so pleased for you and the team

13. producer 3

January 15, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I’ve now caught up with this site and pleased it keeps us up-to-date with what’s happening as we no longer expect wag food to do this job.
    Pity they can’t pay you for being their communicator.
    So pleased you’ve have been acknowledged for the work you and the guys have done over many years.
    Positive wag food wouldn’t have helped you in getting this award.

January 24, 2014 at 10:44 am

Well done – great news.
    The work you’ve done for food is unbelievable. The flack you’ve taken from wag food is also unbelievable and totally unfair too.
    I cannot understand wag food and why they don’t work with you and support you in the magazine. It does not make sense. Not for us producers and not for Welsh food. You have the only Welsh foodie magazine, you’re not just backing Welsh food, but you’re pushing it wherever you can.
    I wish I’d have nominated you, because you and the team are certainly worth it!