WCM Wag Invite Lost In The Post???

28 May

Too busy to post yesterday, so belated thanks to one of our very helpful Best Of Welsh & Border producers, BOW, who rang in on Tuesday to check that we’d received our invitation to the official launch of the Action Plan Food & Drinks Industry for 2014-20. Well what a surprise dear readers to inform our BOW person that we hadn’t been invited and still haven’t.

Maybe our invite has got lost in the post, or maybe wag food forgot to release their delivery pigeon that should have headed to Welsh Country magazine at Aberbanc. Or maybe wag food have chosen to continue to ignore us in the hope we’ll go away, or maybe if we are being honest they simply don’t want us there – which was the feeling we got at the 5th meeting too!

I’m no longer interested if wag food come up with some excuse as to why we’ve not been invited. If this BOW producer has been invited then surely so should we. Welsh Country magazine sent through a full report on their proposed plan, we also attended, at least in part, the fifth ‘Quango’ meeting. Yet after all that work, time and effort and all at our cost, it seems that was insufficient to warrant an invite. That of course is despite the fact that wag food are saying that this food plan is for the industry, from the industry and will be led by the industry. Yes that’s what they are saying, so it’s no longer a surprise to us that this is more government food spin. My take on this, if the 5th meeting was anything to go by, was that the meeting was totally dominated by Welsh funded Government Quangos. Quangos that are paid from the public purse and seem to specialise in meetings, especially those held during the day. Of course the government are going to give a huge focus of their time and budgets on large companies, but I’m certain they’ll continue to ignore the micro/small businesses as they always have done. They ignore the fact that some micro businesses need help and guidance to grow and there’s every chance, given that guidance that many of these businesses could take on one member of staff and give them training, which would be an all round help on employment figures and for the companies too. But I cannot see that happening as there are no Radio or TV sound bites for the Alun Davies, Food Minister to grasp and no photo opportunities for ribbon cutting either, so a real no-winner there for this ignored sector of the Welsh food market.

Thinking about it though, I guess wag food could have invited Welsh Country Foods as that’s what Welsh Country magazine was down as on wag foods invitation list. Of course we pointed that out to them, but wag food being wag food it wasn’t altered and the list of attendees that went out showed Welsh Country Foods not Welsh Country magazine. It was just too big a job to alter it and get things factually correct!

To keep everyone up to speed follows is the original post, which was posted on 24th April:

I shall start this post as I did my last post, I got some news in this morning, needless to say, not from wag food. This one was about the Action Plan for 2014 -2020. Apparently next month this Action Plan is being officially launched in Cardiff. Obviously it is not important to tell the Welsh media so early about this launch at St Davids’ Hotel, but pleased wag’s budgets can run to paying for this venue, they must think that cost effective and value for our tax payers money. Thankfully our Best Of Welsh grapevine is working well, although I was told if I’d had stayed to the end of the fifth meeting I would have been told then. Well now need to defend my corner. Initially I was invited to this 5th meeting, then my invitation was withdrawn. After making a fuss, I was told I could attend providing everyone there knew I was press! Then on signing in wag food got our company name wrong, didn’t bother to alter it when they sent out to everyone a list of attendees! However I did tell wag food we’d be leaving early afternoon to go onto Cardiff for the Countryside Alliance Awards evening but of course I didn’t expect anyone in wag food to update me. That would come under the heading of wag communicating with me ……

I’m sure many of you will be aware of my views of this Action Plan which has been promoted as for Welsh food, with ideas from the industry, not the Welsh Government. Wag food ran 5 meetings but stupidly, again in my view, these were all held during the day. Does wag food seriously think most producers can take time out their working day? Sorry silly question, we know how difficult it is for wag food to think and certainly at micro producer level. But then as that group of producers tell me wag food have never been interested in them, they can’t visualise growth for them with the right support, Welsh food and drink is important to Wales but wag food have no right to dismiss micro food producers.

I’m a cynical journalist, that’s a fact, but as I understand it only 77 ‘people/companies from the food industry submitted their views and comments. Just 77 from an industry that has 14,000 registered businesses and employs 45,000 people. If I’d have been working for wag food, 77 attendees is not something I’d want broadcasting, because it is proof of wag’s complete failure in communicating with the industry they are supposedly working for. I know I go on endlessly about communication, or in wag foods’ case the total lack of it, but I was hoping my water-on-a-stone-technique would work with wag food, but not so far. If I’d been doing the PR for these meetings, I’d sure hope I could have persuaded more to attend, which could easily have been achieved if the meetings had been held at night!!! If I couldn’t obtain e more than 77 responses I’d be asking why? Why isn’t the industry interested? Wag food could have easily got my opinion if they wanted it, which is now even clear to me that they don’t!

The fifth meeting that Ian and I attending was an additional meeting asked for by people attending the other four, well cynical Kath thinks Quango people like meetings! You’ll not be surprised that I was disappointed that my fellow attendees at that final meeting were by and large from Welsh Food Quangos, I only noticed 2-3 food producers. So what does that tell you? Firstly that Wales funds a heck of a lot of food related Quangos, so it doesn’t appear wag foods’ budgets have been chopped too much in that area and secondly, that Quangos can take time away from their desks during the day, unlike food producers.

So that’s the latest news, and many thanks to those of you keeping me updated, it’s good to talk…………………….

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

May 28, 2014 at 10:37 am

Carry on digging your hole wag you’ll be reaching Australia very soon. How rude not inviting the only food magazine that Wales has. Your arrogance has no bounds at all.
    Wag’s apparent stand-off with Kath and Ian reminds of kids in the playground, wag food have the ball and they will not play with anyone. Despite this magazine, being more in touch with producers, festivals and markets than wag could ever hope to achieve. Though it’s their arrogance that must stop them working with them.
    The difference in my mind is wag food just don’t appear to give a toss, although it’s their job. The annoyance is they have this magazine which goes across Wales and wag food decided 3 or perhaps it’s more like 4 years now not to advertise with them. But when they were wag food got coverage and promotion of festivals and markets in there and on their website. What opportunities have been lost there and why? Because wag food have no money, what utter tosh.
    This should be a solid partnership, they should be working together and I am one of many who’s not chuffed that the new guy hasn’t changed this. He’s allowed it to get worse instead of better. I’m sad and cross that wag food are being in my eyes, childish.
    This is not helping producers at all, but they still get paid and we still struggle.
    If wag now send you an invite, don’t go and waste your time and money, it’s insulting to be an afterthought, just tell them where to go!!!!
    Can I say Kath thanks for this site, it’s the only way we’ve a clue what’s going on, dire though much of your news is. It is good to talk, but wag can’t see it – shame.

2. J

May 28, 2014 at 11:42 am

Not lost in the post
    Kath you are still being blackballed for speaking the truth. You know producers who’ve been treated like this when their faces don’t fit with wag food. You’re still getting more of the same, and for longer.

It’s wrong that this fracas has gone on so long
    It’s wrong that the new chap hasn’t got a grip of things yet, he’s been there long enough to have worked out the job the magazine does for Wales.
    As regards wag behaving in this pathetic manner, they are the ones at fault. It helps no-one wag not working with you. This site didn’t start until their petty behaviour kicked off. They don’t care that it hits producers. Any help you can give us in the magazine is worth a fortune.
    Wag do grow up
    Kath don’t go to this meeting if their conscience does prick them, which is not likely as don’t think they have one. Why should you waste time and money when wag treat you like this? They don’t fund you like their Quangos, they don’t pay your travel to Cardiff.
    Instead put it in the magazine and change your slant in there. Time to tell your readers the truth. That might give us more support from them for us producers.
    Please give that some thought.

3. Benji7???

May 28, 2014 at 11:55 am

I’ve had some great comments in today thanks so much.
    I know I’m being penalised for giving my views. But what can I do about it? I’m just knocking my head against the wag food wall, time and time again. Wag food don’t appear to want change and they don’t seem to be working for our food producers especially micro ones.
    Wag food don’t wish to work with us again on Welsh Country and that’s their choice, rightly or wrongly, they decide how to spend our money.
    We cannot use Welsh Country to promote anyone who is not supporting us with advertising. We are not funded, by wag or Europe, we’re not a wag funded food Quango either, so we must support our advertisers until we get charity status instead of a vat number!
    Asking wag to grow up is asking the impossible I think.
    I’ll think further about what we tell our readers if you think it might help producers if they know the truth about wag food.
    I didn’t think we’d have to go that way. It’s not what we wanted, but now running out of options and patience, although I’ve never had much patience!

4. Mr B

May 28, 2014 at 1:24 pm

No, no, no, not lost in the post, not even sent. Much more likely you’ve been deleted off their emailing list and I don’t need to guess why.
    If you will not say what they want to hear, which you’ve never done, as another comment said, years later you’re still blackballed by them.
    There’s no sense there, but with wag why would there be? We’d not expect sense from that lot.

5. Foodie

May 28, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I had an invite – at least I think I did. The email attachment was blank…..

Says it all really…

6. Producer 2

May 29, 2014 at 8:37 am

Only being a micro producer I didn’t expect an invite and so not upset I’ve not got one either.
    Of course this meeting with the Minister, his civil servants and his food quangos will be held during the day, of course it will all those people paid to go to meetings and no doubt can claim mileage too.
    Bet the Minister will pontificate once more how he’s working hard for food, especially on his many trips abroad, maybe he ought to do a count on how many micro producers his team have engaged with – NONE, how many micro producers have attend his spin meeting NONE or ONE?
    The Welsh food industry doesn’t stop and start just with large producers that wag food have already funded, micro and small producers are needed too but they are so ignored by wag.

7. ME Too

May 29, 2014 at 8:40 am

Hey me too, I’ve not got an invite either.
    Far too many of us don’t belong to the select wag food funders club. Because we’ve not had wag funding so they don’t know or care we that exist

8. Honey Mummy

May 29, 2014 at 2:41 pm

So this latest food action plan is supposed to be all about the producers, not about the Welsh Government, stop insulting us wag we are bright enough to work out that, as always it’s about you lot. Food producers do not come first with wag food and that’s the problem.

9. Meat man

May 30, 2014 at 8:47 am

You are being unfairly and rudely blocked by an arrogant department that in my eyes are clueless. Twelve months on, after big promises, things are getting worse from our side and yours too.
    Action plan for producers is total twaddle. Five meetings all held during the day – perfect for micro & small producers? Of course not. But wag are not interested in us. Davies has not got the vision to see growth in us, so we’ve never, ever been on his radar and never will be. We can hope for election changes next year but that’s not likely. Trips abroad are what this Minister revels in.
    I didn’t think his Dept. could sink lower, but it has and we are the ones that will continue to suffer.
    A food department working for ALL food producers would be a novel idea, ever though of trying that wag?
    Give up with this shower Kath, even you can’t change arrogance.
    We’ve talked many times about trying other options let’s move our ideas forward without wag’s support and without their interference.

10. foodie gal

May 30, 2014 at 3:19 pm

A few people are telling you to give up, but if you do that how do we find out anything that’s going on, or more likely not going on? You’re and the team there are only ones that are bothered about us, but get that it’s a waste of your time and your money trying to talk AT wag people who are so arrogant they will not listen. Arrogance has been used a few times on here and that’s because it fits wag’s behaviour and attitude.
    Their lack and their on going rudeness is quite astonishing.
    Not sure where else you can go or what else you can do after hitting this wag wall.
    As for a food policy for us that’s untrue, it’s for the big boys and wag’s quangos, just didn’t realise there were so many food quangos. But quangos keep lots of folk off the dole

11. Trader

May 30, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Who do wag think they are not inviting two guys who have put so much into Welsh food despite blockades put up by them all the way along?
    I’m horrified this behaviour can continue, but civil servants often have the luxury of jobs for life in many cases, regardless of how good they are or not.
    I’m sure you’ll miss nothing but more spin from the Spin Master Minister. I’d certainly bet you wouldn’t agree with much of it!
    Wag have lost respect from traders and morale is at an all time low

12. Benji7???

May 30, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Please don’t worry about no invite. After the 5th meeting we saw more than enough and that means Quangos too.
    It appears wag don’t want us there, which is their choice, as always. They are in control, just a pity they forget who they are working for and who pays them……….it’s you and me…………………..

13. Producer

June 2, 2014 at 8:30 am

10 out of 10 for guts. We talked when you’d just started the magazine and wanted to focus on food and I with others warned you not to upset or rock wag food’s boat and you didn’t when they were advertising with you. You supported them over and above their advert as you do with all of us that are with Welsh Country. Then about 4 years ago they stopped advertising, not telling the truth for doing so, but an FOI proved you had been shafted. Well more fools wag, because you were so angry with being lied to that you started this site and they have had no coverage either in Welsh Country or on its website. But welshfoodbites has given us more news/gossip about Welsh food than we’ve ever had in my 20 years in Wales. You have to take it that you’ve been blackballed as wag can do and has done to many, but whilst this site continues to grow and grow you are rubbing their noses in it and uncovering many wrong doings.
    Keep up the good work
    Hope we catch up at Lampeter.

14. Producer 2

June 3, 2014 at 10:30 am

The amount of comments left on here are some proof and show our feeling against much of what wag is doing.
    I’m surprised some producers don’t understand that you can put up a comment and wag can’t find out who you are. That’s needed, as they hold things like that against you should you be brave enough to go to them for help. To me it’s a great idea and much needed.

My concern, worry is wag’s arrogance. Wag seem to listen to no-one but their favoured few companies.

Wag should take you on as a consultant, or have you to say the right things to get that work?

I’m concerned how things will never change with wag. The new chap has not proved the new broom you had such high hopes for.

I understand how annoying it must be for you and your team after all the hard work you have done for Welsh food. At festivals there is so much chat and discussion about this site and the news you get for us and it’s a bonus if you and Ian visit too and we can catch up in person.
    I’m not a big reader, but Welsh Country is one I do read and enjoy. Your food pages are spectacular. It’s a big shop window for Welsh food, but still passes wag food by, where are they in Welsh Country?
    You are amazing. Please keep this site going.

15. Benji7???

June 3, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Comments must be anonymous, that goes without saying with wag’s track record of bullying.
    Wag are entitled to be arrogant. Their word is gospel. We cannot change their minds or their views.
    Not sure if wag still have consultants, but am sure that I’d be the last person they’d think of. Sure too that wag want people close that say the things they want to hear and I’m sure I don’t qualify in that respect either.
    It’s annoying, frustrating and irritating, but in fairness to wag food it was our choice to focus on Welsh food, it’s nothing to do with wag at all, but it’s annoying, frustrating, irritating that they never listen to us, to you and others leaving comments on here.
    Pleased you actually read Welsh Country that’s good to hear. I’ve no idea why wag are no longer interested in working with us at Welsh Country. It’s of course their choice and they do not have to explain why we are not suitable, should they ever consider doing some PR & Marketing. Wag as always are in charge.
    welshfoodbites is staying, though doubt it will ever get through to wag food, but at least we know wag food are regular visitors – but they don’t leave comments either!!!

16. Jo

June 5, 2014 at 8:24 am

Not invited? Oh my word, you have upset the wag hierarchy to deserve more rude treatment from them. Well done you, they’ve had it their own way for far too many years. Pity there’s only you trying to shake the shower up.
    Arrogant, insulting cowards are the politest words I can use, otherwise you might not approve my comments.

I agree with you saying that you could never ever run a business like this, even if wag funded part of it for you.

I’m mortified with what is happening to you. Hope as you tell us on a regular basis talk to your AMs.

June 5, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Any chance of finding out how many micro and small producers will be there?

18. Benji7???

June 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Short answer no, not invited so can’t help, sorry.
    But you can try and find a food producer who is going and will do a count for you. I’m sure there were only 2-3 at the 5th meeting.
    Or you can ask wag food who might or might not be able to help you, bearing in mind this might be covered by Data Protection!!!

June 10, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Kath, will you be able to give us an update on their latest plan?

20. Producer Girl

June 12, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Will you be putting up on here this Action Plan?

21. Benji7???

June 12, 2014 at 2:46 pm

It’s the government’s action plan, so sorry unlikely it will be posted on welshfoodbites.
    As always though, with our good customer service, this has been sent around our Best Of Welsh & Borders producers so that we keep them in the food loop.
    From your email I’m not sure that you are with us on Best of Welsh & Borders, so I’m afraid you’ll have to search for it on wag’s website, unless wag send it out to all Welsh producers themselves, which I doubt.

22. Jo

June 12, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Just playing catch up and cannot believe what I’m reading. Assume someone will keep you in touch with what’s happened?

23. Benji7???

June 12, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Nothing at all worth worrying about
    But yes indeed, it’s been a very busy morning emails and phones very busy just when we’re trying to do a photo shoot!!!

24. cup cake 2

June 13, 2014 at 10:56 am

Cheers for chatting first thing this morning and updating me, you’re a breath of fresh air in this clicky industry, but wanted to register an official thanks Kath for sending through this action plan. If wag achieve that I’ll then be elected First MInister, a female FM -what hope is there of that happening? Zilch!!
    If wag food don’t achieve THEIR plan they’ll throw this back at us in the industry, it will be our fault, you can be assured of it. This will be despite they made no attempt to really engage the whole industry, the micro and small producers have again been ignored, as we always are. But the food Quangos have no doubt been to all the meetings and stated their case for further support and funding.
    Why does wag have anything to do with electing the Chair of this board thing? If this is supposed to be our plan, which we know it isn’t because of the above, wag should have nothing at all to do with it. But that means we’ll have another, approved by wag, big brown nosed company person, who’s company has had lots of funding, so HE’S grateful, and that means the wag boat will not be rocked and the Chair will obey wag foods ground rules. What a set up wag food is.
    I am sure that’s what’ll happen. There will be no-one, not even on the board, let alone heading it, that will fight for us. Wag will insist that no rebels, or people who disagree with them are allowed.
    What an utter shambles.
    This is another version of wag ticking boxes.
    See you tomorrow at Emlyn festival?

25. Benji7???

June 13, 2014 at 11:35 am

Grateful for you leaving a comment after our chat, you speak words of wisdom as at least that’s how I’m looking at things.
    Agree that if this ambitious plan fails it will be the industry not wag food’s fault. But not sure what ever is wag foods fault.
    I also agree with you about Chair and Board. I understood this plan to supposedly be about the industry and the industry views and wants, so it follows that the industry should choose who they think will do a good job. But having said that we know that the food industry does not engage with each other and due to the past regime, not with wag food either. So on a practical level not sure how the industry could get one of their own, not a wag food man, in the Chair. It’s still a very worrying time for food.
    see you tomorrow

26. Beer Boy

June 16, 2014 at 9:24 am

I don’t think wag can make their position any clearer after reading this. They say they are right, we say they are wrong.
    Lip service, going through the motions and box ticking are how they operate.
    They are clueless, but what is hurtful; is they get so many suggestions, guidance, direction from this site but wag ignore everything. That means wag ignore food producers, which is what they have always done apart from the big boys with brown noses.

27. Producer TWO

June 16, 2014 at 11:00 am

I’m flicking my way through this report but not inspired by it.
    How come organics are only mentioned once? Aren’t organics important to Wales any more? Or do we wish to lose this sector too|?
    How come small micro businesses are named 18 times I think I counted, but this MInister does nothing at all to help us.
    How come this MInister then says he’s listened to the voice of the industry through the consultation process and MANY meetings with the industry and representatives over several months.

Kath’s pointed out more than once that five meeting were held during the DAY, no evening meetings because guess Quangos don’t work many evenings.
    She’s also pointed out how many food Quangos were able to attend these meetings because they are paid at the end of each month regardless.

According to Kath only 77 people filled in wag’s questions, but does that really represent our Welsh food industry? You must think we are stupid if you expect us to believe that? But you lot have ticked another box!
    I’m positive that the part of the industry that got involved, giving it’s views, wants to lead it’s own industry, but how come wag are supposedly choosing the Chairman of the Board? They’ll select by the brownest nose no doubt.
    I agree with Kath that the members of this wag board will those that wag approve of and have no doubt funded. That process will never, ever help our industry.
    Kath can’t you help?

28. BB

June 16, 2014 at 3:28 pm

well done flicking through any of this report I tried but didn’t get very far
    as a micro producer I have no belief that wag food have any idea how businesses like mine keep going. I have seen training mentioned but we all struggle to find staff let alone get them training
    48 points they want delivered but you can bet your bottom dollar that if this fails, like the last one did, it will be the Board and the industry that will be blamed, not wag food. So be warned wag food will come out of this smelling of roses regardless of which way it goes.
    How come little Welsh meat is sold in Wales when HCC get given so much money each year?
    Wag have not engaged with our industry just sections of it and basically those that can attend meetings during the day. Our is a big industry and 77 responses is not how would want to connect to my customers.
    Much of this makes no sense to me at all and I’m worried about what happens next

29. Trader

June 17, 2014 at 11:32 am

Help me understand why you are treated as the enemy when you and the team are working way beyond what we as traders and producers pay you for? We pay you for a best of welsh listing, but you give us so much more. We can get extra space in the magazine, we can get pictures to plug our lines if we have some good shots, space on your website and then social media. That is more, way more than we pay for. You then take up issues with wag for us because we haven’t the bottle to do that ourselves. Why wont they work with you? If you praised what they were doing, that’s if you could – would that make a difference?

30. Benji7???

June 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

Grateful for you leaving a comment and for being with us on BOW but you are asking me questions I cannot answer. I am not employed to speak for wag, in any case I’ve no idea what they are doing or what they are thinking. So if you want those questions answered, email me and I’ll give you an email to try. Not sure you’ll want to do that and it might be a waste of your time but it’s an option you have as a food producer. More than happy to help you that way.
    I cannot say if wag would be happier if I agreed with what they are doing, again you’ll have to ask them directly that question.
    Pity wag don’t see us as trying to help them, but it’s apparent they don’t.Sorry can’t help you with this, but the choices and decisions made are wag’s not mine.

31. Honey

June 18, 2014 at 8:32 am

I am not stupid or silly but this is something I don’t understand. I’m a best of welsh and have been for years and if wag food cannot see the benefits Welsh food has with this magazine then I think a new team there wold help. My background is Marketing and there is no way on this earth that I’d not be working together with this magazine who have set their stall out to promote Welsh food and have kept it up, giving more and more pages to food and as for producers, theirs is the best deal ever and no other media in Wales supports food as they do.
    I’m upset that wag’s constant battle with them will prompt them to reduce their food pages and that would be a disaster.
    Hard to believe that wag cannot open their eyes and see the big marketing and promotional opportunities offered here. Be brill if we could elect civil servants.

32. Beefy

June 19, 2014 at 9:16 am

You’ve high standards and it was going to be the case that wag food would constantly let you and producers down.
    Wag are hardly a forward thinking government. They’ve one eye on Westminster and the other on Scotland! Maybe that’s why they can ignore all the comments that have been out up on here. Kath expecting too much from this Gov. and the food department, regardless of who is running it. I think arrogant sums them up but there are other words I could use but don’t wish to incur your wrath! Or you to delete my comment either.
    The title action plan makes me grin, PLAN, well the last one was a total failure and as for ACTION from wag, that’s funny, but not if food is your livelihood.

33. Foodie2

June 19, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I filled in the questionnaire. What a shame they could not be bothered to send me a link to the Action Plan. Rude!

Thank you Kath for sending me the link, otherwise I would not know it had been published. I am reading the plan in small chunks, because I have to keep going out to kick something and let my blood pressure drop below boiling point! WAG live in an ivory tower and have no idea what is going on at the business end and this comes through very clearly in the report.
    The boxes are ticked, move on, nothing to see here….

34. Benji7???

June 20, 2014 at 8:10 am

Sorry wag couldn’t be bothered to send you a link – maybe we should guess they are busy – no link for you – no invite for me. Oh dear!
    We sent the link to all our Best Of Welsh – it’s what we promise to do help and support those working with us. I can understand the blood pressure rush far too well as far as wag are concerned. My worry is if/when this latest food plan fails it will be the food industry not wag food that will be blamed.
    How wag can say this plan represents views from the industry, when I don’t believe they’ve made an effort to engage all sectors. The big boys and the Quangos, as always, will be well looked after, but the rest will sink or swim on their own efforts.
    But wag tick another box

35. Buzz

June 23, 2014 at 9:19 am

Wag are fooling no-one working in this industry. Their action plan with only 70+ responses and meetings held during the day is not a true, fair or accurate representation from our industry. If wag believe it is then they are more out-of-touch with reality than I thought.
    Wag must still think we are very stupid to believe more of their spin.
    The industry will lead it, it’s the industry telling wag what they want, what utter rubbish. Wag are still at the wheel and it’s only when this fails, will our industry be blamed.
    If wag cared about what the industry thought they’d take more notice of this site and what we say. We are safe in what we say on here, we’ve trust in these guys, but still not in wag food. Think there are sufficient comments left on here to get an understanding of how we feel. But wag aren’t bothered in the grass roots of our industry it sure will not be a micro producer in the Chair and neither will 2-3 micro producers be on the board. We will be ignored as we always are. Well done wag you are too arrogant to learn and improve from your mistakes.
    Thank goodness we have the backing and support of welsh country but pity we’ve nothing from wag and they can’t understand our problems.

36. beer boy

June 27, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Total shame that wag can’t read all the comments that have been out up on here there must be about 30 but they only got 77 companies filling in their forms.
    I view this as disgraceful but wag food Dept. will carry on doing just the same, whilst we pay them

37. trader 2

June 30, 2014 at 2:28 pm

not lost in the post Kath but you are being blackballed by this dpt. as we so often are if we have the guts to complain to them. I’m disgusted by them and their attitude to you. You and your guys are only sticking up for us and fighting our corner because usually we haven’t the courage to do it for ourselves.
    The new regime has not made any improvements that I can see.
    Why you have to put up with this treatment by civil servants that we pay for disgusts me, it’s not right, it’s not fair and I can honestly say I don’t believe it will ever change or improve. I’m not convinced that civil servants have the ability or the guts to admit they haven’t got things right and to take your suggestions on board is only a dream.
    thanks Kath for all you do

July 1, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Kath give up on this very arrogant and very rude department.
    They fail to understand and recognise that you are trying to help them and Welsh producers, why that is beyond them is a worry.
    This department will drive you mad and if they are too arrogant to listen then the whole food industry is lost.

39. Foodie

July 1, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I’d love to meet minister who is going to pontificate further on this food stitch up.
    It is not what the industry wants because in the big picture we’ve not known what’s going on.
    Carry on featherbedding the big boys with the brown noses and the endless food quangos.
    Don’t bother with micro and small producers let’s us bite the dust because you’ll neither understand the problems we are facing or care about our businesses.
    How you’ll get your 30% growth minister is utterly beyond me but that’s your problem should you remain in office.
    Thanks for the latest information Kath

40. Foodie 3

July 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I’m only just catching up with this and struggling to believe what I’ve just read. Why were you not invited? It is so ridiculous. The only magazine in Wales that supports food, the only people we see on a regular basis at food festivals and markets, your splendid food blog that saves wag food telling us anything that is going on foodwise in Wales. It is nothing short of a disgrace and I’m disgusted with all this.
    Don’t argue or criticise wag food is the message I’m getting loud and clear from this childish lot.

41. Shambolic

July 7, 2014 at 11:17 am

It is a shambles and I think a total disgrace.
    Why didn’t they invite you both?
    Why are you treated in this manner because you point out their failings?
    Why can this happen in 2014?
    In my book this is bullying. How many magazines have we in Wales supporting food? One. Welsh Country.
    Why are wag taking against your magazine? It can only be because you highlight their many failures and find fault in much of what they do. For that you, your team and your title are punished. Well in the grown up world of business any company would have listened and learned from criticism that had been levelled at them. Government have no need to they can keep their jobs regardless of performance.
    Wag food they think they can get away with and I don’t think they should.

42. Benji7???

July 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Well wag food can and they have. I’m sure they will continue to do so because they are the civil servants running our government.
    I’m grateful for your supportive comments and pleased you could be bothered to take the time to leave one.
    I’ve no idea why Ian and I weren’t invited and of course, despite the many comments left and questions asked, those comments have not prompted wag food to contact me and explain what happened to our invite. But why should they? It’s their game, their rules.
    Wag have though told me in writing, that because of filling in their from as they requested and attending a meeting, as they requested me too, ‘I have a role as a direct stakeholder on food issues’. What that means in practice I have no idea, but it obviously doesn’t mean I warrant an invite to this meeting.
    In fact if it hadn’t been for some of our Best Of Welsh & Border producers, I would not have known anything about it until it had been and gone.
    I know only too well that companies are not happy if failings are pointed out to them, but any companies that wish to survive and grow will listen and act upon comments given them – we’ve no choice but to do that. Wag food’s words that they are listening to the industry, doesn’t in my experience, hold any truth and that’s worrying.
    Welsh Country is the only magazine in Wales really supporting food, but seemingly wag food are not impressed with our efforts. Having said that it’s unfair of me to compare a company with a government department, they aren’t and sadly never will be on the same wavelength. In the big picture, civil servants will keep their jobs, but companies know the private sector hasn’t got that security or the arrogance that governments often have. The public and private sectors are like chalk and cheese.
    The new regime that I was so hopeful about has not worked for me, Welsh Country and many producers, especially micro producers.
    After nine years plus, even I’m realising that this department seems to be a lost cause. That’s frustrating and upsetting, but if my words fall on deaf ears, there are few options left open to me.