New Applications For Welsh Food & Drink Board

02 Jun

I first posted on this Welsh Government proposed new board on 30th March and followed up on 30th April. If interested please check out both those posts, as this will save me repeating myself! The gist is that after asking for applications to join the board in March, when I understand about 40 companies applied and then some were interviewed. Wag then decided that the board composition wasn’t a fair representation and asked for more companies to apply. The closing date was 24th April.
But as we are now into June I’m being asked what’s happening and who’s been appointed. Sorry folks, but I’ve not been sent any news of the further appointments but we are all aware of how important Welsh food and drink is to Wales.

I’ve asked the press office today and if they have any information it will be sent around our Best Of Welsh & Borders producers and then posted on welshfoodbites.

Sorry for this delay, but as you are well aware that my ongoing message to wag and wag food hasn’t got through that communication is the key………………….

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Mr T

June 2, 2015 at 2:19 pm

No news, well that’s no surprise
    It’s just what we expect from wag food
    not that anyone I’ve spoken too wants another board
    we are bored with boards
    talking shops achieving nothing apart from ticking wag’s boxes.

2. Jed

June 3, 2015 at 9:36 am

LIke many others I’m also bored rigid with wag’s boards.

Only civil servants with certain monthly pay cheques can have the nerve to ask producers to give up more of their time for another talking shop when producers are not in control.
    It’s wag’s board they’ll rule as always whilst more boxes are now ticked, well done wag, mission accomplished.

3. Bow

June 5, 2015 at 1:12 pm

GIve our civli servants time Kath stop rushing them it’s only about 5 weeks since their closing date, Bet they’ve oads of peope with brown noses applying, so it could be a big, big job especially for civil servants.
    I assume you’ve not applied?

4. Parrot

June 5, 2015 at 1:15 pm

You assume correctly.
    My nose is the wrong colour for wag………..

5. Bow

June 8, 2015 at 9:27 am

As a long standing bow, who’d back you and Ian to the mon and back again, I’m admitting to being selfish enough to say don’t give up Kath because you are the only person listening to us, talking to us and trying your utmost to fight our corner but against massive odds.
    You’re are having to fight against arrogance at the highest government level.
    You’re fighting civil servants who have never been in touch with reality and that is the case in food. You’ve been bullied endlessly by these people that you and I are having to pay for and I don’t think this food dept. is up to standard and the civil service standard have always been very low.
    We all deserve better from wag food, but we haven’t a hope in h – – – of gettting it.
    Years of sensible and accurate posts on welshfoodbites and lots of comments and wag food have learnt what? NOTHING AT ALL.
    That is aggrogance.
    But we are the losers still.

6. Producer

June 8, 2015 at 3:32 pm

I think you’re wrong Kath and you should have applied for this board.

7. Parrot

June 8, 2015 at 3:35 pm

You are entitled to your view of course but I have a few questions in response.
    Why should I have applied?
    If I’d have done so and got on – which was highly unlikely – would you have paid my time and costs to be a board member?
    Did you apply?
    If not, why not?

8. cup cake

June 9, 2015 at 10:48 am

I cannot see what this latest talking shop will achieve for food and drink producers at all levels in Wales.
    This is another of wag food’s pet projects. They will direct it as they wish and the producers are simply there as puppets at the cost of their own time and money and then frustration when nothing alters.
    I disagree with other comments left Kath. I think you were right not to apply because wag food have no intention of listening to what you say, they got a cob on because you have it right and they are wrong. Your error is having the guts to disagree with them and in public. You’ve highlighted their errors that they’ve got much wrong and they aren’t big enough people to accept their errors. Easier to wash over them.
    In fairness they are so out of touch they’ll continue to get things wrong as they always have done.
    Pity that department isn’t accountable to food and drink producers then many heads would roll.

9. sugar plum

June 10, 2015 at 8:46 am

Your well used phrase – you couldn’t run a business like this – certainly applies here.
    Closing date 24/4 for SECOND lot of interviews and there is still no news of the latest batch of brown nose recruits happy to give their time and brains to wag food for them to ignore, apart from tick some boxes for them.
    You were right not to apply. No reason to put yourself through that for a bunch of civil servants who are lacking, as I see it, in commonsense and knowledge, but excel at bullying.
    If they’d listened to you food and drink wouldn’t be in this sorry state.
    Hope to see you at Emlyn festival on Saturday.

10. Parrot

June 10, 2015 at 8:50 am

hopefully we’ll be there

11. Will

June 10, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I don’t understand comments left saying you should have applied to go on this brown nose talking shop. This is just another one, as if we haven’t got enough.
    You’ve been bullied and harassed by wag food for speaking the truth, all in the vain hope you can help us by making wag food listen to what we want.
    I’ve lost count of how many people have called this dept. arrogant, but I agree.
    Their behaviour to you as a journalist, publishing a Welsh magazine, that’s strong on food, is outrageous and civil servants should not be allowed to behave in that manner.
    My only whinge with you is that you should put in the magazine what wag food are really like. Tell your readers the truth.

12. D

June 11, 2015 at 8:58 am

Take no notice of people saying you should have applied.
    You didn’t and it’s too late now. I say you were spot on right.
    Why should you put yourself through that, when you above all know just what type of civil servants you are dealing with?
    Your nose aint brown, you don’t lick their boots, and you have the nerve to tell them all the time that they have got so much wrong.
    Their answer is say you are not a journalist well they are not civil neither do they behave as our servants either.
    Their final ploy is to bully you and civil servants are not allowed to behave in that manner but due to poor management they can.
    They have a poor knowledge of our industry and haven’t bothered to talk and listen to producers, this is where you and Ian score. You’ve told them to communicate to us, but they can’t be bothered.
    It’s disgusting.

13. Yogi

June 11, 2015 at 11:22 am

For goodness sake let it drop.
    Kath’s right not putting herself through that.
    If wag food had any sense, which they clearly haven’t, they’d have asked Kath to be on the board and got Ian to join and sort some PR and Marketing.
    But let’s agree we all know what will happen there!!!!

Eventually we’ll be told whose nose is brown enough and who will toe the wag line, when wag have time.There’s obviously no rush for this boring board to meet with all members.

Kath please just ignore these people who love going over and over the same ground.
    Some of them are as silly as wag food.

14. BOW

June 16, 2015 at 10:51 am

I’m playing catch-up on here as not been reading this for a while.
    How come I know nothing about this board? Oh I know wag food aren’t interested in me I only prodcue food in Wales.
    Kath’s rants sometimes make me smirk, but usually leave me fuming with what I see as the total stupidity of wag food. To have another food board, I see as a pointless talking shop that maybe ticks more boxes for Europe.
    What is it going to achieve?
    Brown nosed companies that wag food have to approve before they can go on this board to give their time for free, how can that really represent all food and drink companies?
    Well it can’t, but that is not what wag wants. The food and drink industry is ruled and governed by wag without good input form producers.
    Next year’s election will not improve the quality and common sense of our civl servants.
    Pay lip service only to us, nothing changes.

15. BOW 2

June 17, 2015 at 10:08 am

This is another one you should give up on Kath.
    We all know there’s no urgency in the world of government and it’s now coming up to 2 months for this latest shambles to have an outcome.
    Just give up Kath they are not worthy of your time
    In all honesty we could easily guess which brown noses are not yet on this board and due to be wlecomed once again into the wag fold.
    What it will achieve is lots of hot air all directed by the government.

16. foodie fan

June 17, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Having to try and deal with wag food, let alone wag itself, I give you my sympathy. It seems you’re constantly banging your head against a thick stone wag wall.
    Maybe if you’d known how non receptive wag food is, you’d not have backed food so strongly. This big-headed dept. has never talked and dealt with us as we deserve and you hit the nail on the head so often, not even communicating to us. Guess that’s too difficult for them even f they know we exist.
    The money I spend as a best of welsh member is the best value, it really is and your communication to us is brilliant.
    If you were doing your magazine in Scotland you’d have been backed to the heights by their government. They’d at least get what you are trying to do for our industry and for your readers.
    You’re wasting your time with what I judge as a pathetic shower of a department.

17. Parrot

June 17, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for your kind comments and chuffed you feel BOW is value for money.
    But it was our choice to focus on food we didn;t have to be can do whatever we please with Welsh Country. However we promise our advertisers that we’ll support them over and above their advert and that’s what we’ve continued to do.
    Dealing with any civil servant is tricky as they are so often out of touch with reality. Certainly few, if any of them have ever run their own business. But you are right in that I did not expect wag food to be so negative to us and certainly over the last 4-5 years. Perahps as a jounralist it would have been easier for them if I didn’t ask them questions……but if they communicated to me then I wouldn’t have to quyiz them. Not that that gets me very far.
    I am impressed with Scotland and how their food and drink is going.
    Maybe Scotland would have been supportive to us if we’d set up there, who knows?
    Sure we’ll catch up soon for a chat face to face.

18. TRADER

June 19, 2015 at 11:27 am

What a shame wag food and wag cannot understand what a low opinion food and drink producers have about them. Perhaps that’s unfair because wag food are just wag’s puppets and they pull their strings.

I’ve yet to meet anyone who wants another board. How is another talking shop going to help us?

Thank goodness we have an election next year and I hpe people think long and hard before voting. .
    Just wish we could vote on our civil servants.

19. Bow

June 26, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Two months for the second round of companies and government still cannot announce who’s nose is brown enough to get on this board.
    They might as well have simply invited the companies they know and fund. It is no use trying to con us that we are at all involved in this latest farce – we are not.
    We don’t need another talking shop, we need action and we don’t get this from this government or the food department.
    Roll on the elections in May and my hope is that people will realise changes are needed in Wales before our country sinks any further.

20. Bow

June 29, 2015 at 3:07 pm

It’s not obvious to us in the industry that wag are interested in Welsh food and drink and that’s a priority for this government. As always it’s soundbites for the press and precious few of those.
    I am unsure would believe this government and know no-one that believes wwag food if they ever give us an update.
    So we still await to see the favoured few that wag approve of to join their latest food board.
    Sorry Kath you’ve had to waste so much time on this pointless topic.

21. Parrot

June 29, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I’ve not been made to waste so much time
    I’m asking questions food and drink producers don’t wish to do so directly.
    It’s my choice to do so but agree it’s a total wate of my time trying to get answers out of wag food or the press office.
    I like other Welsh media, I’ve got to wait for the press release to come through – without holding my breath!!!
    In case you didn’t spot the irony, I’m not too sure other Welsh media is waiting for this press release……………………..

22. bow 2

July 2, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Glad I didn’t waste my time applying.
    No point as Kath warned my nose is the wrong colour.