Welsh Food Festivals

07 Aug

Welsh food festivals, give you the best of Welsh food and drink.

This is the list of Welsh food festivals being funded by the Welsh Government for 2017/18.  I have been asked to clarify my wording ‘being funded’ as the festivals listed are not being FULLY funded by the Welsh Government. The situation is that festivals are allowed to apply for some funding – the maximum this year is £5k  – and if the festival fits the Welsh Government’s criteria and wag agree that will be awarded the amount when all their paperwork has been sent into wag and verified. I’m more than happy to clarify that and sorry again for not knowing how much each festival was awarded this year.

Apologies for delay in posting this list but I’ve only just received them! Anyway better late than never!

Food Festivals 2017:

Llandudno Christmas Fayre

16th to 19th Nov

Hay on Wye Winter Food Festival

24th & 25th Nov 24

Abergavenny Christmas Food Festival

December

Knowing that Abergavenny, Conwy and Mold didn’t get Welsh Government funding last year, regular readers might be surprised that Abergavenny has both their food festivals funded this year as does Conwy. Please don’t ask me what is happening there this year as I have not got a clue! But I am told that if a food event/festival wished to apply for funding they can do so. My advice for what it’s worth is put your case forward in a sensible and professional manner  and hopefully you’ll get some cash!

I spent so much time last year asking about funding for the big three festivals, doing a freedom of Information questions, going back for more information but then still not getting what I thought was a satisfactory answer. Then I had to go to the Information Commissioners Office but then had to wait so long whilst they questioned the Welsh Government, that in all honesty you really would lose the will to live. Or in my case as a journalist, lose the will to keep asking questions, to then be blocked………………………….

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Bow

August 8, 2017 at 8:13 am

As you say better late than never to get this list
    how much did they all get?
    And as you also say I too would never run a food festival with wag’s ‘help’

2. Alfie

August 8, 2017 at 8:16 am

so Abergavenny and Conwy now officially back in wag’s fold this year.
    Wow you did get the run around and in my view not the truth about last year.
    You cannot alter what wag pay out but you have every right as a tax payer and an editor to know where our money goes.
    Transparent government don’t make me laugh.
    Pity wag don’t pay for the time they waste of yours to achieve little apart from keeping their secrets safe.

August 8, 2017 at 8:19 am

Initially I did ask for amounts but on further chasing I didn’t sorry, but limit is supposed to be £5k.

August 8, 2017 at 8:19 am

love to invoice for that one…………………………….

5. R

August 9, 2017 at 8:12 am

Well at least you have it now in August
    not much use to your readers really at this late stage
    why is a show getting funding, is this a change of wag policy?

August 9, 2017 at 8:20 am

There is a change at wag food and I’ve been told that this show applied put their case forward professionally as to what they would achieve for Welsh food and drink and got their funding. Sure others will follow this example next year.

7. Roy

August 9, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Be great if wag food got this list out early next year then you can publish in Welsh Country and let your readers know what’s happening.

8. Hunny Mummy

August 9, 2017 at 3:02 pm

late but you got it

August 9, 2017 at 3:10 pm

When we get this list we only web it and send around our BOW.
    We only give editorial, social media etc. for those festivals that are advertising with us – otherwise it’s not fair to them. Advertising is how we continue to publish Welsh Country magazine as we are not funded by Welsh Books Council unlike some other English titles!

10. BOW

August 11, 2017 at 9:01 am

Thanks for trying again this year to get this list – it really isn’t your job, like this website isn’t, but extra work for you.
    Reading between the lines it seems like a change for the better around wag food.
    You’ve not really commented about Abergavenny and Conwy being back in the fold, do you know why?

11. bow

August 11, 2017 at 9:03 am

Without you telling us what’s happening with wag food we’d know NOTHING
    and as others have said, it’s not your role to be their wag’s communications officer, goodness knows how many people they pay to do that job!
    I’m grateful for this website and your emails.
    Will you be coming to Cardigan food fest?

12. Mr H

August 11, 2017 at 9:05 am

If you were looking after your readers you’d be publishing this late as it is.

August 11, 2017 at 9:13 am

Well thank you for your comment.
    I think you forget how we earn our living so let me remind you – by selling advertising! I don’t come onto your stand and expect to purchase your produce for free, so why it is different for me?.
    If all Welsh food festivals that were being funded advertised with us – they would not only be in the magazine we’d offer them 200 words editorial for free along with social media and on welshcountry.co.uk. But as they don’t often citing can’t afford it – without even asking the cost – I’m not giving them the support we give those who are supporting Welsh Country magazine. That’s business.
    It is not my job to promote food festivals in Wales, they are all individual festivals and do their own thing working to wag food criteria.
    I’m glad you appreciated me chasing wag food for this though………………………….

August 11, 2017 at 9:18 am

It’s my choice to keep our BOW producers in the loop – often wish I hadn’t started doing that but that’s my fault.
    Hopefully communication might improve and I can back off.
    I must say of late it’s much easier for Ian and I to talk to wag food. I’m hoping wag food will find it as useful as we are.
    We are hear to help Welsh food and drink and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve said that!!!!!!!!
    will be at Cardigan for sure. They were very organised and sent me press tickets without my even asking, how good is that?

August 11, 2017 at 9:32 am

think I’ve already left a comment about wag food
    they are talking to us and I’m hopeful we can make things better on both sides.
    our main game is the same help Welsh food and drink.
    After spending /wasting so much time trying to find what funding Abergavenny, Conwy and Cardiff got and failed I was furious and still am really.
    I cannot change or have any input in what wag food pays festivals but I do have a right as a journalist and tax payer to know how our money is spent. It’s called open government. Wag will not understand how much of my time this one issue has taken and they’ll not care that I do not have the luxury of a regular monthly pay check. sick pay, holiday pay, pension etc. I must say it’s left a sour taste.
    For this year I’ve not questioned Abergavenny and Conwy being funded but am told it’s up to festivals to apply for funding and sell themselves on paper to wag food. So I do think this is a good step forward. Id just like to see sensible criteria applied – I’m concerned with new business push as in Narbeth in 2015 a stall was allowed in from people who’d been to a cash and carry and repacked some sweets. This gives organisers another headache because they have to work out are the people genuine or not under new business banner………………………

16. cheeseman

August 11, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Will you get next year’s list earlier next year Kath?

17. bow

August 11, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I must admire your patience for pushing for years to get this info from wag food

August 11, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I have no idea but hope so
    I’ve been told that wag food have to wait for approval of this budget and until they get it it’s hard to push forward. We’ve talked about a ‘promise’ to festivals might work and stop them worrying but who knows?

August 11, 2017 at 2:00 pm

others would call it doggedness
    but it’s important to producers and our readers.

20. Jay

August 14, 2017 at 9:48 am

Just to say how good it was to catch up with you at Cardigan food fest on Saturday
    you and Ian are really only the main press we see.
    what did you think of the day?

21. bow

August 14, 2017 at 9:50 am

enjoyed the chance for a chat with you at Aber sea food event on Sunday – loved your dog
    very busy and good weather too……….

August 14, 2017 at 9:53 am

you have good doggy taste….

August 14, 2017 at 9:56 am

We try to cover as many food festivals as we can but not always easy to fit them in!
    Cardigan was good and according to feedback from our BOW – it was a good event very busy
    Rhosyn Produce also thrilled winning best stand award ……………………….
    so chuffed for Emma and her team they were so busy and then like us off to Aber on Sunday

24. beer boy

August 14, 2017 at 2:07 pm

With the amount of time you and Ian have put into improving festivals for producers and organisers, it is annoying for me that you’re still having to do that and we still don’t know what each festival gets.
    Ironic after all your efforts that Abergavenny and Conwy and back taking out of the cash pot again this year.
    These 2 festivals didn’t get any money last year but now do. I smell a rat and wag food should get how much time and energy you put into this just to find the truth. When can give our cash to whoever they choose but we’ve a right to know who gets what on food festivals. It would be a shock if wag food were to be open and honest.

25. bow

August 14, 2017 at 2:08 pm

This is so late as to be useless
    pity heads don’t roll

August 14, 2017 at 2:18 pm

well why would they?
    sure it’s only me keeps asking for this list……………….

August 14, 2017 at 2:23 pm

The point is we DON’T HAVE TO DO THIS.
    It’s a choice we made.
    With hindsight it wasn’t a sound choice and sure wag food would agree!
    Not a clue why these two are back in if the Welsh Government wanted food festivals to be self funding then these two should take their hands out of the kitty. Dread to think how much they’ve had over the years – sure it was easily £30k – £50k each at one stage.

28. BOW long timer

August 15, 2017 at 9:36 am

You deserve a medal for keep trying to get info out of wag food. How you can continue bothering chasing them is way beyond me.
    But must say, as others have said many times before, without you fighting our corner we’d know nothing that wag food are doing, planning or thinking about either.
    Medal on its way……..

29. Kim

August 15, 2017 at 9:51 am

Festivals need to know earlier if they are getting any cash
    this is not good enough and is as bad as ever
    surely it’s not that difficult to to let these people know in January with a few must-do or no payment would suffice.

August 15, 2017 at 9:57 am

Medals are for heroes – not for journalists! And as I keep saying it’s my choice to get this information. Once wag foo get the message communication is the key and start doing that with me – life will be easier.
    If you insist on a medal though, make it of chocolate please!!!

August 15, 2017 at 9:59 am

I agree but also know wag food have to have budget rubber stamped
    Sure as you suggest there must be a way around this
    I’ve suggested that festivals are told their cash is semi approved but they must understand that this budget is not finalised and when it is then there might have to be some tweaking…………….

32. M

August 15, 2017 at 1:51 pm

If wag food were listening to you and Ian and us on here the place where we can say what we think, this situation would not exist now.

33. Tam

August 16, 2017 at 11:25 am

You’ve had so many comments left, most saying the same, but why can’t wag food get a grip, listen to you and US and change their manner of operation?
    As for the big three festivals, they’ve taken I bet, hundreds of thousands of pounds over the last 15 years, they should stand on their own feet at last and stop keep taking from us to feather their own nests.
    The runaround wag food gave you last year on this was a disgrace. Horrendous for you. You don’t deserve that. Wag food should hang their heads in shame as you don’t get paid for doing that and they still do.

34. meat man

August 17, 2017 at 9:45 am

I agree with Alfie and wish wag food would listen to us and Kath – that’s the only way things will improve

35. John

August 21, 2017 at 11:59 am

I admire the way you keep pushing wag food to change and improve but think you are flogging the proverbial dead horse.
    Even getting this list out now is stupid

36. J

August 22, 2017 at 9:31 am

It’s beyond the wit of man, or in this instance wag food, to get food festival funding sorted out early. Despite your years and years and years of pointing out wag foods many errors and issues, nothing has improved.
    If I were you Kath I’d give up – they have won purely because they will not listen and they’ve got the cash.

37. bow

August 22, 2017 at 9:33 am

I’m agreeing with other comments Kath
    give up
    wag food have bullied you and made your life so difficult and it stinks
    Back off and leave them to it.

August 22, 2017 at 9:40 am

If food and drink producers assure me they’ll never moan at me again about wag food – maybe I will.
    But moaning in the background constantly will not change a thing.
    Wag food cannot know things aren’t working unless they are told can they? Do be fair.
    As for wag food altering things I haven’t control of that – sadly!!!

August 22, 2017 at 9:40 am

It’s too late now for me to give up
    and I do like to win……………………….

40. Bow

August 22, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Another topic that’s got people going, well everyone except wag food.
    Like others Kath I’d say give up with wag food, you can take a horse to water but CANNOT make it drink
    and many people have reminded you of this saying and this is precisely wag food. Hear nothing, say nothing, do nothing!

August 23, 2017 at 8:10 am

I’m hopeful things are moving in a better direction in wag food and I must hold onto that.

42. Sue

August 29, 2017 at 9:41 am

The massive number of comments left surely should get through, even to wag food that they still have this wrong
    This is way too late to be of much use. Assume you’ve not published it in the magazine?
    WHY CAN’T WAG FOOD LISTEN TO YOU?

August 29, 2017 at 9:54 am

To be flip wag food don’t need to listen to me, why should they?
    I’ve not published this list in Welsh Country magazine, but we most certainly have more than supported those festivals that advertise with us, including through social media. That is what we’ve promised to do for those advertising.

I have not given up and am still though hopeful that wag food will listen and change tack on this sector. Wag food are somewhat stuck until they have their budgets confirmed, but I’m sure there is a way around this and that festivals can have an ‘amount’ promised providing budget is reasonable and not chopped again!